We have found Someone’s mom has 4 sons North, West and South. What is the name of the fourth son?( someone’s mother has four sons North, West and South. What is the name of the fourth son? ) puzzle in during IQ test question paper as well as in School admission test that and we try to elaborate the answer of this question.
Someone’s mother has 4 sons North, West and South. What is the name of the fourth son ?
Solution: Here someone’s mother has 4 sons means mom has 4 sons when we read this we find it North is first, west in second son and third son is south. So that means in common sense we think that fourth son is North,West ,south then fourth son will be east but this is not true.
Right answer is Someone because someone’s mother that means someone is the person who have north ,west and south brother. puzzle can be ask an answer is given below
So name of the fourth son is Someone.
details description of question Someone’s mother has four sons; three are named North, East and West. What’s the name of the fourth son?
- The someone’s mother word uses apostrophe means it is normally used for person and that means we can derived that someone is fourth child. Here instead of someone name of the person can be anything that martin,john etc.
- Second opinion of answer is what is the name of fourth child.
- The final answer you could say is “South”. The sentence contains a chain of names and you could say that since the names are directional, the last name must also be a direction. However, this is the weakest argument because a name does not necessarily have to be a direction. Put it this way, A cat is an animal, but not all animals are cats. The first part being true does not mean the second part is also true.
We ensure that someone is correct answer.
Other variants of the same question Someone’s mom has four sons North, West and South. What is the name of the fourth son ?
- Someone’s mom has four sons west, east and South. What is the name of the fourth son ?
- Someone’s mom has four sons east, north and South. What is the name of the fourth son ?
All have same answer someone.
Now thing about following questions and justification.
- Someone’s mum has four sons:Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. What is the name of the fourth son? Can you guess the fourth son’s name?
The above question will divert you the mind that which one is correct answer of different question.
If colon is used then meaning is different and colon is not used then meaning is different.
- so four sons and then at first time reader seems to make a list of 3 items in a sentence fragment.
- Reading the Ashford’s rules for horizontal lists
- “In a list with three or more items, separate items with commas. Use the word ‘and’ only before the last item in the list, and always follow the last item with the proper punctuation when the list ends the sentence. Rule #7: Use a colon after a complete sentence that introduces a numbered or unnumbered horizontal list.”
- so since you are missing a colon following the complete sentence “Someone’s mum has four sons” one might come to the conclusion that “and” is the 3rd son’s name (even though it is a proper un-capitalized name) thus making Wednesday the 4th son (assuming that your unnumbered list is in numerical order.)